Welcome to Horry Post 111
Welcome to American Legion Horry Post 111's website. This space is dedicated to serving the members of American Legion Post 111 of Conway and is a place where members and prospective members, as well as members of the community, may obtain up-to-date information about our Post. We serve the Conway SC area in Horry County. Check out our schedule of activities for our Monday evening meeting. The event starts at 6:00 pm. Our address is 3003 Hwy 701 North, Conway, SC 29526 and our phone number is (843) 365-5669 - click here for our Post location.
Its membership renewal time and we have reduced our dues - now just $55.00 per year. You don't need your dues notice card from National, just bring your check to the meeting and provide to the Adjutant. He will give you your new Membership Card. You may also mail your payment directly to the office at American Legion Post 111, 3003 Hwy 701 N., Conway, SC 29526 and he will mail your new card back to you.
Come learn more about us
American Legion Baseball
Click for the latest Baseball Stats
Click the Sponsor button to see how you can help sponsor your American Legion Baseball Teams. The banners will be made up with your business name as you like and will be displayed on the fence in front of the fans.
Click here for our Baseball Sponsors
Make a tax deductable donation
Click the button here to make an online tax-deductable donation to one of our programs. Donations
Post 111 Bingo to open soon - check back soon for more details
Palmetto Boys State
Our Boys State program went well this year. We sent seven (7) young men to Boys State (click here to see the list of those that attended). We will publish some of the results in the next few days and plan on having them speak to us about what they gained from the program in the next couple of months.
Our goal for next year is to send fifteen (15) youth. Help us reach our goal. View more information about Boys State here.
Help support our Youth
Legion Cap Etiquette
Click here to learn about the American Legion Cap Etiquette
Take the time to watch this video from Charlie Daniels band (be sure your speakers are on. I think you'll be impressed. Also the link has significant information about the Pledge to our Flag.
What do YOU do when the National Anthem is sung? This next video was published on Veterans Day, November 11, 2015 and provides great insight into how we as citizens are supposed to respond when the National Anthem is heard.
Post 111 now accepting online Tax-Deductable Donations
may now be made for our various programs such as Palmetto Boys State, Palmetto Girls State, American Legion Riders' Legacy Fund, our American Legion Baseball program, and Post 111's Other Programs which include such vital things as Emergency Financial Assistance to needy veterans, the JR Law Cadet Academy, Flag Advocacy, and other Family, Youth, and Veterans programs.
Click this button to make a Donation
Canteen Opening July 20th
The Post Canteen officially opens Thursday, July 20th at 4 pm for Members and Guests. Members of any American Legion Post are welcome but you MUST show a valid American Legion ID Card. Beer and wine sales are permitted during normal Canteen hours. Canteen hours of operation are as follows:
- Thursday's from 4 pm to 10 pm
- Friday's from 5 pm to 11 pm
- Saturday's from 4 pm to 11 pm
- Special times as permitted by the Executive Committee
The Canteen will also be open during Bingo times but no alcoholic beverages will be served.
Help support our Post
VA Claims Assistance
Nick Cosentino, Post 111's Service Officer is at the Post on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 8 am to 10 am to assist Veterans and Members with their VA claims. Show More... He will also come in on other Tuesday's as required if you make an appointment with him. Veterans desiring assistance should be early and must sign in so that you may be served. As Nick's time is limited, you should plan to bring as much information as possible to support your claim so that Nick will be able to assist you in a timely manner. Coffee will be available. Call the office at (843)-359-5669 to make an appointment with him....Show Less
American Legion Riders
ALRSC-111 has the following rides and events scheduled. Click on the tabs below to see what's scheduled.
Our next meeting is Wednesday, August 2nd in the Legion Hall.
See you there.
The next regular membership meeting of the Post is Monday, August 14th. This will be a family cookout so plan now on attending
See you there.
Check out our Calendar of upcoming events here.
Click here for the Riders webpage.
Click here for a list of our Program Sponsors.
Help support our Programs
Remember the Pledge of Allegiance?
You may pause and restart the show using the buttons on the screen.
Map to our Post
Click here to see the map to our Post Home
See you at the Post
The Next USS Enterprise CVN - 80
The next USS Enterprise will be the ninth US vessel to bear the name Enterprise and the construction is due to begin in 2018 with a view to joining the lead ship USS Gerald Ford and her sister-ship USS John F. Kennedy.
Our Youth Programs
Post 111 sent 10 boys to Palmetto Boys State in 2016
Thanks to the support from our community, Post 111 again sent 10 young men to Boys State in 2016. The list of attendees and community sponsors for our 2016 program is posted here. The picture above is from Sunday, June 5, 2016. Four of our ten young men, along with some of our Legionnaires, met at the Conway Walmart prior to heading up to Boys State. Way to go guys. I'm told they had a great week and they will be talking with us at one of our meetings soon.
(The picture above is used by permission and was taken by Carole of AmeriChes Photography - thanks for the excellent picture).
Our goal this year (2017) was to send seven (7) young men to Palmetto Boys State and once again we reached our goal. This goal was not as robust as in the past several years but we are hopeful that we can send fifteen (15) next year (2018). (See our list of this year's attendees here). As stated previously, it costs $300.00 to send one boy to Boys State. We weren't able to do this all by ourselves and we say a special thank you to those businesses who helped us reach our goal. Click on this link to view our 2017 Palmetto Boys State Sponsors. To sponsor a youth, simply send an e-mail to our Boys State Director by clicking here and then send a check for whatever amount you can to the address below. As we are a 501 c(19) non-profit organization, all donations are tax deductible and will be used to sponsor a young man for our 2017 Palmetto Boys State program:
American Legion Post 111
Attn: Boys State Director
3003 Highway 701 North
Conway, SC 29526
A thank you note from one of our 2016 attendees
Thank you for helping us reach our Palmetto Boys State goal
Click on the team picture above to display additional pictures of the team during one of their playoff games.
Both our Junior and Senior league teams are doing well this year. As of this time, the Junior team is in first place in the leage and the Senior team is in 2nd place in their leage.
(Our 2016 Senior Team is depicted here).
Our Banquet this summer (for our 2017 season) was held June 17, 2017 at the Waccamaw Shrine Club. Our 2018 banquet will be held June 16, 2018. Plan now to attend and have a chance to win the grand prize of $5,000. Thank you for your support of Post 111's American Legion Baseball.
See our Legion Baseball page for additional information on this valuable youth program that is sponsored by Post 111.
Unfortunately we were unable to participate in this program this year. Help us support this valuable program for our students. See our Law Cadet Academy page for information about this great event.
This photo shows teens from all over the United States gathering in Indianapolis for the National Oratorical Contest.
The annual Oratorical Contest presents participants with an academic speaking challenge that teaches important leadership qualities, the history of our nation's laws, the ability to think and speak clearly, and an understanding of the duties, responsibilities, rights and privileges of American citizenship.
The contest starts at the local level and works up to the National level. Winners of the higher levels can win significant scholarships that can be used for participation in any college of their choice.
Post 111's local competition will be held in January 2018 at our Post (final date to be published when known). Check out our Oratorical Contest page for additional details. Also, be sure to check out the 2016 winner at the National level and watch the video. It will give you pointers on how best to prepare and present your speech. Preparation and presentation encompasses many facets so be sure to consult with your high school coaches and others who are helping you to prepare.
Last Updated: Mon, July 24, 2017
Like us on facebook
(Adobe Reader is needed to support the various PDF files that you will find on our website. Click the link above if you don't already have it installed on your computer. Be sure to uncheck the options in the center of the Adobe download page if you don't want to change your browser or install other programs other than the Adobe reader)
Important Upcoming Events
Our Next Meeting: We will be holding our next meeting at our regular time and location at the Post August 14th. Check out our Meetings page for details. We'll see you there.
Post 111 Canteen opening July 20th: The Post canteen's official opening is Thursday, July 20, 2017 with our Italian Dinner night. Beer and Wine sales will be available to Members and Guests only. Only spirits purchased at the Post may be consumed on our grounds and no beverages may be removed from the Post grounds.
Italian Night: We are having an Italian Night dinner for Members and guests Thursday evening, July 20th from 5 - 8 pm. Come enjoy a great plate of home-made spaghetti with your choice of meat sauce, or meat balls. includes salad and bread for $8.00. This will also be the first official night for our canteen and, as stated above, Beer and Wine purchases are now allowed (members and guests only).
Pancake Breakfast: Our next Pancake breakfast for Members and their guests will be Saturday, July 29th. Cost is $6.00 for a plate of pancakes, sausage or bacon, and eggs. Biscuit and Sausage gravy plate with eggs is also only $6.00. Coffee is included with both selections. Come one come all and enjoy this great breakfast.
Post 111 Golf Tournament
Post 111 is hosting a Fund Raising Golf tournament at the Man O War Golf course on Saturday, August 26th. Details are on our Golf page.
Stats for the most recent games
5/26/17 - Georgetown Post 114: 11 - Post 111: 0
Over Memorial Day weekend Post 111 won 2 our of 3 games
5/30/17 - Florence Post 1: to be provided; Post 111:
5/31/17 - Junior league: St. James: to be provided; Post 111:
6/5/17 - Junior league: Anor: 1 - Post 111: 16
Legion Cap Etiquette
- The left side (emblem side) of the cap is reserved only for the Legion emblem, city, county, district, or state lettering.
- If desired, the following items must be placed on the right side of the cap:
additional lettering, restricted to either the name of a Post, or to an officer title (such as “Past Commander”),
cap insignias or badges (for Past or Present officers),
consecutive membership insignia, membership stars, and/or authorized Legion or military services decorations.
- Names or nicknames of individual members cannot be used on caps.
- The Legion Uniform Cap should be worn by its members only when in attendance at official Legion meetings or ceremonies, or as official guests at patriotic or other civil functions, or by individuals when officially representing The American Legion on public occasions.
- A member is considered to be in uniform if wearing an official Legion Uniform Cap. Therefore, it is not proper to wear the cap while eating a meal at an official Legion or civic luncheon or dinner.
- The cap should be worn in a place of worship only by the Guard of Honor, Color Guard and Commander of same while in marching order or standing guard. When returned to and seated in pews, the cap should be removed.
- Legion posts marching in formation into a place of worship should uncover, at the door, hold the cap with the right hand over the heart until the arrival in the pews and commanded to take seats, remaining uncovered during the entire service. At the close of the service, upon command, the post shall arise, the members holding the cap with the right hand over the heart will march out of the place of worship, and recover after marching through the door.
- Legion members not in formation will uncover upon entering the place of worship and remain uncovered during the entire service, and will recover after leaving the place of worship.
- When at a funeral, the cap should be held over the heart as one approaches the casket, and is not at any time worn in a place of worship (except by the Guard of Honor, Color Guard or Commander of same while in marching order or standing guard). At the grave side, the cap should be held in the right hand over the heart during the entire service. In cold and inclement weather, the cap should not be worn.
- In Legion meetings, the cap should be worn except during moments of the Pledge of Allegiance, prayer, and when standing in silent reverence in memory of departed comrades, when the cap should be held with the right hand over the heart.
- Female members of the Legion should wear their caps in the manner prescribed for female personnel of the armed services.
Extracted from the 2012 Emblem sales catalogue
Be a Team Sponsor
|Donation||Banner Size||Season Tickets||Tickets to Banquet||Additional Recognition|
|$200||3 x 6||2 for both leagues|
|$250||4 x 8||4 for both leagues||PA Advertisement during games|
|$500||4 x 8||6 for both leagues||1||2 T-shirts + PA advertisement during games|
|$1000||4 x 8||8 for both leagues||2||2 T-shirts + PA advertisement during games|
Post Canteen Rules
- Beer and wine sales are permitted only during normal Canteen hours.
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought in from the street - only beverages purchased from the canteen may be consumed on Post 111 property.
- Alcoholic beverages purchased at the Post Canteen must be consumed on Post 111 property and may not be carried off the property in either a closed or open condition.
- Post Canteen staff may refuse service to any person for reasonable reasons - canteen staff has the final say.
Canteen hours of operation
- Thursday's from 4 PM to 10 PM
- Friday's from 5 PM to 11 PM
- Saturday's from 4 PM to 11 PM
- Closed Sunday's - the Canteen will normally be closed on Sunday's. if the Canteen is open on a Sunday for a special function, NO alcoholic beverages may be sold - Our license does not permit Sunday sales of alcoholic beverages.
- Special times as approved by the Executive Committee.
The Canteen will also be open during Bingo times but no alcoholic beverages will be served.
Thank you for understanding our rules